BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Crackerbox Palace (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   News Coverage of George's Death (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11264)

HMVNipper Dec 05, 2001 03:12 AM

Re: News Coverage of George\'s Death

And from the Voice...
http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0149/sotc.php

The Sound of the City
by Ed Park

The Man Who Wasn't There

I. About 23 times a year, by his count, the narrator of Nicholson Baker's
novel The Mezzanine wonders, "McCartney more talented than Lennon?" The
comparative gifts of George Harrison, who died last week at 58, could hardly
provoke similar debate, yet it was his relative proficiency that made him
desirable to the nascent Beatles. He could build more chords than the elder
John and Paul, and knew (unlike the former) that a guitar has six strings,
not four. He impressed them by playing "Raunchy," an instrumental hit
(something in the manner of Duane Eddy). He would lose his virginity during
their Hamburg residency, with John, Paul, and Pete Best in the room,
pretending to sleep, surreptitiously watching.
At 13 or 14, he inadvertently deconstructed his first guitar before he even
had a chance to play it; another time, he contrived to build his own
instrument-f-holes, varnish, and all-but it fell to pieces just as he began
to string it.

II. The quiet one: George barely says a word in the short film Magical
Mystery Tour. He barely moves while singing "Blue Jay Way," seated and
glazed, intoning "Don't be long" so many times that the space between the
final syllables seems to disappear. (Later he would admit: "As for me, I
didn't really belong; I was just an appendage.")

Producer George Martin, in his memoir of the Pepper sessions, dubbed him the
Third Man. Beatle John called him, not unadmiringly, "the invisible man."
Ringo felt George "didn't want to be there" for the filming of A Hard Day's
Night. Despite George's fleet-footed presence (and his winning
coat-over-turtleneck ensemble-Harrison more attractive than McCartney?), his
patent shyness makes him seem saturnine compared to his mates. "You can be
replaced," a professional trendsetter tells him. "I don't care," he replies.

He was wildly famous but private, keeping to his estate, the one with
gardens and artificial lakes and a gnome-filled maze: the guitarist in his
labyrinth. He was also nominally indistinct. Two names that people very
close to me have confused him with since Friday: Harrison Ford, George
Hamilton.

He would later recall one Liverpudlian entrepreneur, seen in childhood: "a
bloke in handcuffs and chains inside a sack, trying to escape. There were
always people doing that kind of thing-the Houdini syndrome."

Pseudonyms used by George Harrison: Carl Harrison, George O'Hara, L'Angelo
Misterioso.

III. The first club the Beatles played in Hamburg was the Indra. In a few
years Harrison would walk the razor's edge in earnest. The unlikely catalyst
for his deep attraction to Indian music and spiritualism was some sitar
foolery in the decidedly unserious, mildly xenophobic Help! He was only 24
when he conceived the East-eats-West of "Within You Without You" for Sgt.
Pepper, a decrepit 28 when he released his sprawling solo debut, All Things
Must Pass.

At Strawberry Fields last Friday night there was the inevitable sing-along,
under a bright moon and with small leaves falling slow as snow. Mourners'
voices found the middle range and stayed there: the faster songs like some
parody of death metal, the ballads like anonymous plainsong. This ritual
will happen twice again, little hedges against oblivion, before it all
becomes the music of ghosts.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. December 2001 Issue up now! About.com BEST OF THE NET, April 2001! www.rooftopsessions.com

"O superb! O Manhattan, my own, my peerless! O strongest you in the hour of danger, in crisis! O truer than steel!" -- Walt Whitman

SleepyHead Dec 05, 2001 05:14 AM

Reporters disappointed as Harrison's ashes fail to appear in India

Reporters expecting to see George Harrison's ashes scattered on the River Ganges have so far been disappointed.

Journalists from international news agencies and Indian newspapers have gathered in Varanasi - one of India's oldest cities.

But local officials don't know anything about his widow and son planning to come to the city to scatter his ashes.

It has been suggested Olivia and Dhani had chartered a plane to carry his ashes for the ceremony in the city.

Local civil aviation authority spokesman Shashank Shekar Singh says: "If any chartered plane wants to land during this period, it has to get a written permission from the government. So far, no such request has been made."

Local police inspector Vikram Singh says: "We have no information about the ashes being brought here. We play a role when those immersing ashes demand security. So far we haven't received any such request."

Hare Krishna officials say they're unhappy about the "unnecessary media glare" but haven't denied the family's "plans" to scatter the ashes, the Indian Express reports.

Story filed: 10:16 Wednesday 5th December 2001

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter
Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr

HMVNipper Dec 07, 2001 03:21 AM

Op-Ed piece from the NY Times...
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/06/opinion/06HERB.html

December 6, 2001

Yesterday
By BOB HERBERT

More Op-Ed Pages

ike most Americans, the first time I heard of the Beatles was in January or February 1964. A buddy of mine named Leon Leach came by my house and started chattering about these four guys from England who had long hair and were driving women wild.

At 18 I was interested in anything that drove women wild. But frankly, the more Leon talked, the more preposterous the whole thing sounded. I had big plans to become a disc jockey and was thoroughly grounded in Elvis Presley, rhythm 'n' blues, doo-wop and Motown. The idea of rock 'n' roll with a British accent was beyond peculiar. And in an era when names like Ruby and the Romantics and Little Anthony and the Imperials were the norm, I wondered why any group would name itself after an insect.

Leon suggested we check them out, which we did. We had no choice. Within days the U.S. was overwhelmed with Beatles music. And I learned that the group hadn't been named after an insect.

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" was the first hit, but what hardly anyone realized was that the Beatles had released three records in America before that, and they had gone nowhere. As Paul McCartney recalled in "The Beatles Anthology": " `From Me to You' was released — a flop in America. `She Loves You' — a big hit in England, big Number One in England — a flop in the USA. `Please Please Me' released over there — flop. Nothing until `I Want to Hold Your Hand.' "

Said Ringo: "George was the only one of us who'd been [to the U.S.] before and he'd been into record shops there and asked, `Have you got The Beatles records?' We had three out, on Vee-Jay and Swan, but nobody had them, or had even heard of us."

The songs were all quickly re-released and all, of course, were smash hits. My buddies and I became big fans and we would zoom around in my bullet-shaped 1961 Thunderbird with the windows rolled up against the cold (it actually used to snow in the winter in those days), smoking Marlboros, Viceroys, Kents and Kools, and singing along with one Beatles song after another. She loves you — yeah, yeah, yeah . . .

To tell the truth, it was flat-out dangerous. No seat belts. No shoulder straps. No respect for the speed limits. And you could barely see through the cigarette smoke.

I don't remember feeling threatened by anything in 1964. Crime was not considered a big problem. No one had ever heard of AIDS. And the reality of Vietnam for most Americans was still a year away.

Terror? Sure, we'd heard of that. Alfred Hitchcock, right?

The biggest problems my buddies and I faced were the legions of girls who could always be counted on to just say no.

John F. Kennedy had been assassinated a few months earlier and that had stunned the nation. But generally it was a time of great optimism, not fear. It was widely believed that even the most difficult problems could be overcome. All you had to do was follow the Yellow Brick Road of endless progress.

When Bobby Kennedy won a Senate seat from New York in 1964, he quoted Tennyson:

Come my friends,

'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.'

Oh, sure, the surgeon general issued the first of his dire warnings about the perils of smoking in January 1964, but it wasn't taken too seriously by most smokers. It was common for people to say, "By the time I get cancer, they'll have a cure for it."

Harlem erupted in rioting that summer, but no one saw it as a forecast of conflagrations to come in places like Watts and Newark and Detroit.

Reality can take a long time to sink in. Kennedy's assassination was viewed as an aberration. Meanwhile, the Beatles had arrived and the 60's were a fun time and we were happy to sing along with them.

Said Ringo: "It was so exciting, on the plane, flying into the airport. I felt as though there was a big octopus with tentacles that were grabbing the plane and dragging us down into New York. America was the best."

We are ever-changing and always the same. Like the Kennedy brothers, John Lennon was assassinated, and George Harrison succumbed to the very cigarettes the surgeon general warned us about in 1964.

George was only 58 when he died, still a young man, which tells me that 1964 was both a long time ago and only yesterday.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. December 2001 Issue up now! About.com BEST OF THE NET, April 2001! www.rooftopsessions.com

"O superb! O Manhattan, my own, my peerless! O strongest you in the hour of danger, in crisis! O truer than steel!" -- Walt Whitman

beatlebangs1964 Dec 07, 2001 09:44 AM

Thank you.

I love 1961 Thunderbirds -- back when Ford was advertised as "drive a Ford, it's a better idea." The Thunderbird flew with the Falcon and soared with the Galaxie and the Fairlane. Just love those classic Ford cars.

I really like the personal touches/accounts in the Op Ed of the NY Times. That kinda makes you feel like you're in 1964 with the Beatles when they arrived. Kinda makes them feel a little closer. I like that.

Thank you all for these news articles.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On December 07, 2001 10:48 AM]

SleepyHead Dec 09, 2001 08:42 AM

George Harrison's sister says they healed rift

George Harrison's sister says she held the star's hand during his final days and healed a 40-year rift.

Louise Harrison says they were able to look into each other's eyes with love.

She says the meeting was distressing but positive and loving.

Louise, 70, met George as he received cancer treatment in a New York hospital.

"We sort of held hands like we used to do. We used to talk for hours about life and God and the universe.

"We were able to look into each other's eyes again with love. It was a very, very positive and loving meeting," she told the Sunday Mirror.

"I felt very much at peace as I drove home after meeting him. I hated to see him in that shape when he had been such a vital, wonderful man."

Louise and George fell out after she emigrated to the US and opened a B&B called A Hard Day's Nite.

It started a rift lasting nearly 40 years which only healed after George realised he might not beat his cancer.

Louise, who lives in Benton, Illinois, says George's religious beliefs prepared him for death.

Story filed: 10:08 Sunday 9th December 2001

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter

beatlebangs1964 Dec 09, 2001 08:45 AM

I'm glad they were able to heal the rift. I am sorry that it ever existed. It sounds like a cathartic and healing reunion.

Thank you, SH.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

Rellevart Dec 11, 2001 07:23 AM

Just found this today and thought it was worth sharing....I apologize if somebody's posted this before!
http://www.henley-on-thames.co.uk/ma...ews/george.htm

------------------
If I had some more time to spend, then I guess I'd be with you, my friend....

SleepyHead Dec 11, 2001 07:23 AM

Weller and Oasis star pay tribute to late Beatle at London show

Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher performed a tribute to George Harrison at Weller's Royal Albert Hall gig.

The pair played the Lennon and McCartney track All You Need Is Love as the show's encore.

The song was announced as being "for George."

The Albert Hall gig was the first of two solo acoustic shows in support of Weller's current live album Days Of Speed, NME.COM reports.

Weller returns to the venue tomorrow.

Story filed: 14:24 Tuesday 11th December 2001

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter

SleepyHead Dec 11, 2001 07:23 AM

Vigil ends for Harrison's ashes

George Harrison followers have given up waiting for his ashes to be scattered.

But Hare Krishna officials insist they are still destined for the holy Ganges river in India.

The ceremony could now happen next month in secret.

The last of the paparazzi, foreign tourists and Harrison fans are packing up to go home.

A senior official of the International Society for Hare Krishna said: "The programme has been postponed. They will come with ashes and scatter them in the sacred Ganges river, secretly."

He said the next date was January 14, an auspicious day in Hinduism.

Moderate Hindus believe ashes may be sprinkled in one of India's holy rivers within a year of death.

"They will come secretly to avoid the media blitz, probably during the Hindu festival of Makar Sankranti," said the official.

Orthodox Hindus believe ashes must be sprinkled in one of India's holy rivers within 13 days of death. Tomorrow marks the 13th day after Harrison's death.

The day after his death and cremation, the Krishna society announced Harrison wished to have his ashes immersed in the Ganges. Hindus believe this rite breaks the cycle of reincarnation and allows the soul to begin its final journey toward heaven.

Story filed: 13:31 Tuesday 11th December 2001

------------------

In Memory Of Robby
Our Lady's Psalter

[This Message Has Been Edited By SleepyHead On December 11, 2001 08:26 AM]

FPSHOT Dec 11, 2001 07:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By bearkat77:
At the VH1 Awards last night, Richie Sambora opened the show with a rendition of "Here Comes The Sun". A nice tribute.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After which came his own material, which is .....

------------------
"He left this world as he lived in it, conscious of God,
fearless of death, and at peace, surrounded by family and friends. He often said, 'Everything else can wait but the search for God cannot wait, and love one another.' "
The Harrison Family

darkhorse Dec 11, 2001 12:37 PM

------------------
Your love is forever

Siobhan Dec 12, 2001 01:52 AM

TRIBUTES TO GEORGE HARRISON -
A VERY SPECIAL PERSON

The man who founded Engbers Garden Centre has told how George Harrison helped him to establish the business in its early days.
Konrad Engbers recalls how George visited the centre just after he started. “He came in to see me and asked how things were. I told him it was a little slow and he said ‘I’ll give it a little push for you’. He then bought almost every tree I had in stock and first thing the next day a motorcycle courier turned up with payment.
“Ever since then he was one of my most loyal and regular customers.”
Konrad, aged 79, sold the business two years ago but has never forgotten how George helped him on his way.
They first met when he arrived at Konrad’s original nursery near Abingdon in the late 60s.
“He had called in to another nursery just along the road from mine,” said Konrad. “The owner there told him he didn’t serve hippies and to clear off. I had no idea who he was but we got talking and he began to visit regularly.
“There was a small hut in the nursery that I had converted into a bar. We used to sit together and enjoy a couple of drinks. I remember one particular occasion when he played his guitar there for me.”
And George would walk down the hill from Friar Park to the market where Konrad ran a stall. “He would wait in the queue, take his turn and never expected any preferential treatment. One day he asked me up to his garden for advice on some trees that were dying. After that, he regularly asked for my advice on any gardening matters.
“One Christmas Eve he sent a message down to the stall inviting me to Friar Park for a drink with his then wife, Patti . And on another occasion he took me over to the Catherine Wheel for lunch.”
When Konrad had problems getting planning permission for his nursery at Shiplake he had lots of support from many people, including George.
George continued to visit Engbers and, Konrad said, would sit in the coffee shop in his dirty wellies talking about herbs and Hare Krishna, herbal tea and plants. Nobody would recognise him.
But it was for the support that George gave him that Konrad remembers the star most.
He said: “He was such a kind man with no airs and graces — a man with a truly big heart.”

------------------
"With our love we could save the world"

Siobhan Dec 12, 2001 01:54 AM

A VERY SPECIAL PERSON

The former manager of The Regal spoke this week about the support George Harrison gave to the campaign to save the cinema.
Gordon Mintern, aged 79, who lives in Henley, spoke about how Harrison joined the committee that dedicated itself to saving the cinema after it closed in 1986.
Harrison took to the streets with other local stars, including Joe Brown and Simon Williams, to protest after the shock closure of the Regal on Friday May 30th, 1986.
It was closed after Waitrose was given planning permission to build a new supermarket on the former Regal site.
He told the Standard at the time: “I think the closure is terrible — it’s not good at all, especially the sneaky way it’s been done.
“The cinema is a part of Henley. It’s the only place where people can take their kids. Its just money, money, money — they don’t care about the public.”
Harrison continued to fight for the Regal as a member of the Save the Regal Trust, and Mr. Mintern remembers that his support was appreciated.
He told the Standard this week: “He was a very friendly guy, and you wouldn’t have thought he was a person with money. He was all for the cinema, and he was often a visitor there. He wanted to see it saved, and when he put his name to the campaign it gave us a real boost. We actually thanked him at the time The Life of Brian was released, because it had been his film company, Handmade Productions, that had funded and saved the film.”
The Regal re-opened in February, 1997 in its present location, and since then has gone from strength to strength, recently receiving a special commendation for its preview weekend of the film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
Simon Williams, star of Upstairs Downstairs, who lives in Nettlebed, joined in the campaign to save The Regal with Mr. Harrison. He said: “George was a very, very modest man, absolutely unstarry — a man of the people. Whenever I drew up at the traffic lights next to his Lamborghini he would give me a thumbs up through the window or wink. He was utterly unshowbiz and told me it was a thrill to meet me. I think there should be some kind of memorial service to him during the summer or perhaps a tribute at the Henley Festival. But the best way to remember someone is to set up an award. Maybe the George Harrison Award for the most promising musical newcomer. I think that might be a fitting tribute to a great man.”

------------------

Siobhan Dec 12, 2001 01:55 AM

A VERY SPECIAL PERSON

George Harrison’s former stonemason has been fondly remembering the man he knew as a ‘generous and intelligent’ man who was deeply affected by the death of his former Beatles colleague John Lennon.
Speaking at his home in Oxford, George Robb, aged 81, told the Standard: “I knew George as an employer and there was never anything I could say against him.
“He was very good to me — a very generous man.”
“I remember the first Christmas I worked for him, and I was in a club down the road when someone told me there was a taxi outside for me.
“I went outside and George had sent me a hamper from Harrods all the way from London in a taxi!”
Mr. Robb was first invited to work on Friar Park in 1980 and he was awestruck at the beauty of the place.
“When I first went to Friar Park, I was stunned because it was such a beautiful, beautiful place, and I couldn’t believe that one person was undertaking the work he was going to spend on it, because it was a monumental job.
“I worked on the main house, the gardener’s lodge, the middle lodge and the front lodge during my years there, as well as the gardens and maintaining the lakes, which are probably two or three acres.
“George literally put millions of pounds into the place over the years, and I don’t think he would like it to be opened to the public, because he was always such a private man.
“I have worked all over the world but Friar Park is one of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen.”
Although Mr. Robb was always aware of his role as one of Harrison’s employees, he was very close to the family.
“When Dhani was learning to speak, George insisted that he called him Daddy George and me Stonemason George so that he didn’t get confused.
“He was an adventurous lad who loved climbing on the scaffolding, and he’d be up there with me, 30 or 40 feet off the ground quite happily enjoying himself.
“George himself was a generous and intelligent man who suffered no fools, and he was always very private. He used to enjoy a drink at the Row Barge pub in Henley but he didn’t go into the town as much after John Lennon was shot.”
Mr. Robb’s wife, Mina, added: “That really shook him — he used to say that if he landed after a flight, and came out onto the steps of the plane, he would be wondering which person might have a gun.”

------------------

Siobhan Dec 12, 2001 01:57 AM

A VERY SPECIAL PERSON

The ex-head gardener at Friar Park this week spoke of George Harrison’s ‘wicked’ sense of humour.
Derek Mann, aged 48, said that George was a kind and gentle man, who was genuine and totally unpretentious.
“I first men George and his wife Olivia when I was working as a gardener at a hotel in the Virgin Islands,” said Derek. “I took them on a guided tour of the grounds and we spoke at length about gardening. He said that if I was to come back to the UK to get in touch and he would give me a job.
“When I returned he was as good as his word and I started at Friar Park in 1991.
“We would regularly walk around the grounds together so he could tell me what he wanted done. Sometimes he would have a ukulele with him and play a few cords while we wandered around.
“There were a couple of spots in the garden where George would sit, watch the sun go down and meditate. There I planted night scented stock plants, which gave off a very strong perfume. He thanked me and said it reminded him of his mother who used to plant the same flowers in their council house home.”
Derek, who was forced to retire due to ill-health in 1994, recalls seeing Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr at Friar Park, “They always seemed to get on extremely well,” he said.
“The tennis star John McEnroe paid a visit once. He played a few sets with George, Olivia and their son Dhani on their own court in the gardens.
“John Lennon built a mosaic of what looked like an alien in the garden which was surrounded by roses named after Paul McCartney.
“George had a pet Yorkshire terrior called Winston, John Lennon’s middle name.”
And Derek said that George was not quite the recluse that everyone believed.
“He had a mountain bike that he used to ride around the estate on and would often put on a pork-pie hat and a pair of scruffy jeans with holes in them and cycle through Henley and onto the river bank.
“He also owned an old fashioned racing car, which was barely road-worthy, but on occasions he would race it up and down Gravel Hill wearing a leather flying helmet and goggles.”
Derek said that George was a generous man who gave his original head gardener a new car as a Christmas present.
“George was a genuinely nice man,” said Derek. “I remember fondly the times when he and I would sit together in his kitchen with a cup of coffee and talk about gardening.
“Together, with the rest of the world, I shall miss him.”

------------------

Siobhan Dec 12, 2001 02:51 AM

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...l&siteid=50061

George's widow probed over death certificate address

Dec 10 2001
Daily Post

GEORGE Harrison's widow was under investigation last night after registering a false address on his death certificate.
The former Beatle died in Los Angeles, California, on Thursday, November 29 after losing his battle with lung cancer.
On the certificate, his place of death is listed as being 1971 Coldwater Canyon, Beverly Hills.
However, until the death certificate was released, it was believed Harrison had died at the home of his friend Gavin De Becker in nearby Laurel Canyon.
But state officials in Los Angeles are now investigating after both the post office and the city's land registrar confirmed they did not have any record of the alleged address in Beverly Hills.
There is speculation that the musician's widow, Olivia, and the couple's 24-year-old son Dhani, may have deliberat e ly provided misleading information because they feared a media circus.
However, it is an offence to knowingly provide inaccurate information for death records and can lead to a heavy fine or even prison.

------------------

beatlebangs1964 Dec 12, 2001 09:29 AM

Thank you for all the articles.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964

SF4-EVER Dec 12, 2001 01:59 PM

Yes, thanks Siobhan, those were lovely tributes!

------------------
Contributing Editor for Rooftop Sessions
www.sandraulbrich.com

old_moon_shining Dec 12, 2001 02:42 PM

Thanks alot. One hopes that the 'investigation' is just sensationalist paper talk.

------------------
"...conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace..."