BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Menlove Avenue (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Fat Elvis" Period (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9630)

Magill Jan 13, 2003 10:56 AM

"Fat Elvis" Period

We've all heard of this from John himself, because of his depression. This must've been the mid-sixties Rubber Soul era of he's referring. Personally, I liked him better with some meat on his bones. Compared to the others, it made him look more masculine, for some reason, in my eyes. I didn't really see it as fat but as being a bit muscular. Yes, I do realize it was fat, but it really doesn't look like it. I didn't like how think he got towards the end. That was much too thin. What do you all think?

AmericanBeatle Jan 13, 2003 12:08 PM

Re: "Fat Elvis" Period

Boy, if he considered himself fat at that time, I wonder what he would consider those who are Big Macaholics today??
Personally, I never considered John fat at any time during his career, or if he was, he hid it well. Of course, anyone would feel fat in those early "drainpipe" trousers that they wore in their early years! Ha!

HMVNipper Jan 13, 2003 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
The reason John was so insecure about his appearance was just a thoughtless comment made by a reporter. Remember when someone called Karen Carpenter Richard's chubby sister? She ended up developing anorexia.
Well, some woman referred to John as "the fat Beatle", and he was a very sensitive guy, insecure to begin with and carrying a big chip on his shoulder to cover that up. He took it to heart and became obsessed with his weight. He loved sweets, but he would beat himself up mentally for giving in to his sweet tooth. Sometimes he would "behave" and deny himself for a while, then go on a chocolate "bender", which led to all sorts of self-loathing and mental anguish.
I heard that he became bulimic in later life, but I cannot say if this is true.
In any case, I found him very beautiful no matter what he weighed, but I honestly did not think he looked fat, and he didn't feel fat, either. He was quite firm, and he had good muscle tone in his arms. I agree with you, too--he definitely did get too thin later on.
Oh, and I don't know if any of you ever saw it, but there was one picture taken of John in which he really WAS fat-- he probably weighed 200 pounds-- not too long after Elvis died. He went to a "fat farm" and lost it in a few weeks, however.

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">First of all, I think it's really sad that an insensitive remarks by a reporter could do that to someone like John, of all people...but as you say, Angel, he was very insecure for all his bravado...and to think that he might have become bulemic from all of the scrutiny...God, that's just sad.

I never thought he was fat -- I just thought he was really sexy no matter what!

I've never seen that picture you mentioned -- I can't imagine him that heavy! My God...that's REALLY heavy for him...I remember seeing his clothes at the R&R HoF and being amazed at how slim he was...and to try and picture him at 200 pounds...wow, that's just mind-boggling! He must have been very depressed or something to let himself go to hell like that.

Geez, that's something to think about...

Lucy Jan 13, 2003 12:35 PM

I think that he looked really good during that period....not fat at all. The only way that I can tell he carried a little extra weight then is by looking at piccies of him then (around '65) and then piccies of him around '67-'68.....particularly ones from when he was in India.
I agree with the comment that he was waaaaaay thin towards the end of his life - those sunken cheek bones and everything. Yikes.

shyGirl Jan 13, 2003 12:52 PM

I didn't think he looked fat at all but people's harsh comments can make people do extreme things. I did feel in the later years before his death that he was too thin. I remember browsing around May Pang's website and she had a picture of him wearing her pants and she's a small person.

Magill Jan 13, 2003 01:04 PM

Hey, I've been in my "fat Elvis" period for over ten years now. [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]

I never knew that about the reporter saying that about him, Angel. That's really harsh! It was bad enough about the press' comments to Karen Carpenter. Those evil, EVIL reporters! [img]graemlins/angry8.gif[/img] *
Don't they understand..there was just more of John for us to love. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

angelgodiva Jan 13, 2003 02:20 PM

I only saw one picture of him when he actually was fat; it was between winter 1977 and summer 1978, that's all I can remember. Anyway, the picture was in some magazine and it had a mean comment about walruses under it. I remember just looking at it and thinking that it was hard to recognize him. He was standing in profile beside Yoko, and there was no mistaking that it was him. I saw the same picture a month or so later, and beside it was another picture of a slender, smiling John coming down some stairs with his very happy looking wife, and the caption said that the pair had spent some time at a "fat farm" and lost the weight in record time.
I am just guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised, given the time frame, if his depression and subsequent weight gain was related to Elvis' death. That's why the words "fat Elvis" triggered the memory, I think.
To me, John looked very nice in 1965, not skinny by any means, but not fat either. It was hard for him not to eat a lot then, though, because, as he explained it, he was "always shut up like being in a cage, and you know how all the zoo animals are fat because they have nothing to do but eat? Well, that was all we had to do a lot of the time too, eat and watch TV."
I told him that I did not think that he was fat at all, and he just shook his head and said that I was just saying that to be nice; that reporter was right and even though it pissed him off that she called him that, he knew that it was true.
Interestingly, my husband is the same way. At 6' 2", he considers himself overweight at 160-170 pounds. I only wish I was as fat as he is, lol! And they say women are sensitive about their looks...

Fly Jan 13, 2003 02:25 PM

Quote:

I remember seeing his clothes at the R&R HoF and being amazed at how slim he was...
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You too, eh? I went to that awesome exhibit a few months after it was opened and remember how *tiny* John's clothes were. That was something. He had some pants there, I think from his wedding or something like that, and they were SMALL little things. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It was so great to see, though.

JDanRyan Jan 13, 2003 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted By angelgodiva:
The reason John was so insecure about his appearance was just a thoughtless comment made by a reporter. Remember when someone called Karen Carpenter Richard's chubby sister? She ended up developing anorexia.
Well, some woman referred to John as "the fat Beatle", and he was a very sensitive guy, insecure to begin with and carrying a big chip on his shoulder to cover that up. He took it to heart and became obsessed with his weight. He loved sweets, but he would beat himself up mentally for giving in to his sweet tooth. Sometimes he would "behave" and deny himself for a while, then go on a chocolate "bender", which led to all sorts of self-loathing and mental anguish.
In any case, I found him very beautiful no matter what he weighed, but I honestly did not think he looked fat, and he didn't feel fat, either. He was quite firm, and he had good muscle tone in his arms. I agree with you, too--he definitely did get too thin later on.
Oh, and I don't know if any of you ever saw it, but there was one picture taken of John in which he really WAS fat-- he probably weighed 200 pounds-- not too long after Elvis died. He went to a "fat farm" and lost it in a few weeks, however.

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You know, until I read this, I'd thought the "fat" in "fat Elvis" was more metaphoric than real. The way Elvis had been spinning his wheels during those days and heading towards his real weight problems, I just assumed John saw that and said, "Not me mate! Don't let me go that way!" without actually requiring the gem-encrusted girdle.

I wasn't aware there had been a real fat issue involved here, though. But then, that's what coming onto this board means, finding out new things. Thanks for sharing this, Angel; it adds a whole new dimension to the statement.

ImaginePeace78 Jan 13, 2003 07:19 PM

Gee, I wonder how that person felt after Karen Carpenter died...how dare they say that about her!
And that reporter was stupid (I'm being too nice here) to say that John was the "fat Beatle." That's B.S.! He shouldn't have listened to people like that...but then again, it does hurt when people call you fat, especially if it's people who are your own family. But that's getting off-topic here. Anyway, John was NOT fat..he might've put on a little weight during different times in his life, but he wasn't fat. Oh, yes, and I do agree, that he did look too thin near the end of his life.
-Kristi

kc Jan 13, 2003 07:48 PM

I think John looked great during the "Help!" period, but to compare him at that time to the way he looked in the late '70s/early '80s is a pretty big contrast. He did look thin in his latter days. He's never really looked fat, in my opinion.

On something of a personal note, I'm always a bit sensitive to the whole weight issue. I can understand how people can be sensitive to remarks about their weight, even if only subconsciously. I've always been really small, probably smaller than I should be for my height. Certainly, for women, anyway, thinness is always portrayed as the epitome of beauty (I don't agree with this). I'm glad not to be overweight, but being thin has its issues as well. Ah, for a happy medium...

Rellevart Jan 13, 2003 11:02 PM

I think he looked just fine then, but I too tend not to like really skinny guys. He may have been a little on the chubby side, but I definitely wouldn't have referred to him as "fat". I think it was more of a self-confidence issue than an actual weight problem.

Danoota64 Jan 13, 2003 11:03 PM

During the movie Help! (winter/spring 1965) was what he called his Fat Elvis period and how everyone could see how big he was up on the screen.....he also said that song was his cry for help. I preferred him with meat on his beautiful bones, as opposed to how thin he was late in life. But whatever he weighed, he was GORGEOUS. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]

Magill Jan 13, 2003 11:09 PM

I think we'd all take John anyway we could get him. I just think he was being hard on himself. I didn't see any protruding "Elvis" gut action going on. I wonder if the guys gave him a hard time about his weight gain. [img]graemlins/thinker.gif[/img]
BTW, I thought he look just yummy in Help!, especially in the ski and beach scenes. [img]graemlins/eyebrows.gif[/img]

HMVNipper Jan 13, 2003 11:17 PM

One of my very favorite pictures EVER of John was taken during the filming of Help! I thought he was very nice-looking at that time...I also prefer him with a little meat on his bones, as it were...and no way was he EVER really fat! Of course, John was also always his own worst critic, whether it was his weight, his singing voice, or whatever. I think he was feeling very trapped by the whole Beatle thing at the time of Help! and was letting himself go rather more than he usually did, that's all -- but to him, that was out of control and all those other negative things he frequently heaped on himself.

I also think he was TOO thin near the end...he looked good, very chiseled, but seeing full-figure photos of him from that time reinforces how very thin he had gotten from that macrobiotic diet he was on. I can't imagine he'd have sustained that for years and years...most people can't!

But overall -- I'm in agreement with all those who said no matter what he weighed, John was gorgeous! That was one VERY sexy man, no doubt about it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]

angelgodiva Jan 13, 2003 11:25 PM

[size="1"][ Jan 13, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message Edited By: angelgodiva ][/size]

Fly Jan 13, 2003 11:44 PM

I agree that John did NOT look fat during that "fat Elvis" thing. Whatever. [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Personally, I thought he looked rather ill later on. I'm not so well informed on his health before he died, but from pictures I have seen- like of him leaving his house or in the studio- he is far too skinny-looking. More like emaciated. And he probably thought it was normal, since he thought how he looked in "Help" was fat. I have a fantastic guy friend who weighs more than 200 pounds and would probably be insulted by John's reasoning. Of course, I wouldn't ever let him know about it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I guess that was part of his particular insecurity, though. I read an interview with Yoko and she said she was getting worried about John to some degree over his weight behavior. Like he would go to Japan with her and purposely not eat if he was mad about something. She said it drove her crazy. Can't see as I blame her.

bitagirl Jan 14, 2003 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the insight Angel, it shows how destructive the media can be to someone.

I also dont think John ever was fat, in fact during the Help days I thought he looked healthy but like everyone said I prefer John anytime during his life.

Alas, I have a love/hate mostly hate thing with weight but I do have this perspective that I will never be like the girls on the magazines...and I honestly dont want to be.

Fly Jan 14, 2003 09:20 AM

Awww...look how cute John looked in "Help."

As opposed to this, for example...

I think he was TOO adorable when he was in that film. I could never imagine anyone having a poor image of themself when they looked like THAT (speaking of the colored pictures). Gorgeous. As I said before, about the other picture, I think he looked ill. Get mad at me if you'd like, but its only my opinion. (And I love John like no one could imagine.)

StrawberryShorty Jan 14, 2003 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted By Fly:
Awww...look how cute John looked in "Help."

As opposed to this, for example...

I think he was TOO adorable when he was in that film. I could never imagine anyone having a poor image of themself when they looked like THAT (speaking of the colored pictures). Gorgeous. As I said before, about the other picture, I think he looked ill. Get mad at me if you'd like, but its only my opinion. (And I love John like no one could imagine.)

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Fly, I totally agree with you. I dont think he looked fat at all during the Help! days. I think he looked mighty fine, healthy, and um, not to mention scrumtious! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But during the end, he did look almost ill-like. [img]graemlins/shakehead1.gif[/img] Does anyone know how he lost the weight anyway? It wasn't drugs, was it? [img]graemlins/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]