BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   And Your Bird Can Sing (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Best Beatles Guitar Riff (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38113)

62hofner Nov 09, 2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariposa (Post 1113720)
omg ... I'm such a dork. I knew "Words of Love" was a Buddy Holly song, of course, but I'd never actually heard him do it and so I didn't realize the Beatles lifted the guitar part straight from his version. I just now listened to Buddy on YouTube ... what the Beatles play is almost exactly the same, note-for-note.

No sweat, mariposa! :wink2:

62hofner Nov 09, 2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1113715)
Day Tripper was the first "sophisticated" guitar riff I ever learned so I'm very partial to that riff. But I'm also of the opinion that it's derivative of Pretty Woman. I Feel Fine is also a great riff, but comes from someone else's work.

"Day Tripper" is one of those "milestone" riffs, for fledgling guitarists, that makes them feel as if THEY were the first to learn how to play it! :laugh5: I felt really good about myself when I learned that one.... and I felt even better when I figured out, quickly, that the first part of the song's solo is just the same riff further up the neck.

Colonel... what do you mean when you say, "I Feel Fine" comes from "someone else's work"?

Colonel Angus Nov 09, 2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 1113726)
"Day Tripper" is one of those "milestone" riffs, for fledgling guitarists, that makes them feel as if THEY were the first to learn how to play it! :laugh5: I felt really good about myself when I learned that one.... and I felt even better when I figured out, quickly, that the first part of the song's solo is just the same riff further up the neck.

Colonel... what do you mean when you say, "I Feel Fine" comes from "someone else's work"?

When I wandered up the neck beyond the third fret I was terrified as a fledgling guitarist. All my comfort zone was right there. It still is. But by I Feel Fine I was referring to this song...

62hofner Nov 09, 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1113728)
When I wandered up the neck beyond the third fret I was terrified as a fledgling guitarist. All my comfort zone was right there. It still is. But by I Feel Fine I was referring to this song...

Hmmmmmm.... not sure if I hear "I Feel Fine" in there as much as I hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Colonel Angus Nov 09, 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 1113729)
Hmmmmmm.... not sure if I hear "I Feel Fine" in there as much as I hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Wow, as if Led Zeppelin needs more plagiarism lawsuits. I happen to make the equation to I Feel Fine because it came from the horse's mouth. But I think you just gave somebody else pause for thought.

62hofner Nov 09, 2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1113730)
Wow, as if Led Zeppelin needs more plagiarism lawsuits. I happen to make the equation to I Feel Fine because it came from the horse's mouth. But I think you just gave somebody else pause for thought.

Yeah, I know John cited that tune when talking about inspiration for his composition.... he did a good job of taking inspiration from it, while making his own "statement".

Page and Bonzo's composition? Well, as Plant put it, "We're all just one big happy family of beggars and thieves!". :laugh5:

Colonel Angus Nov 10, 2012 10:34 AM

Does any band have a better knack for riffs? Certainly Led Zeppelin is in the conversation. But who seems to have the more riffs between John and Paul?

62hofner Nov 10, 2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1113744)
Does any band have a better knack for riffs? Certainly Led Zeppelin is in the conversation. But who seems to have the more riffs between John and Paul?

I think Page was a premiere Riffmaster. I mean, "The Ocean", "Living Loving Maid", "Heartbreaker", "Black Dog", etc., etc.??? Insane riff out-put.

I always felt John was the "Riff Man" in The Beatles. But Paul had some great ones, too. Not sure which gets that title.

Colonel Angus Nov 10, 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 1113745)
I think Page was a premiere Riffmaster. I mean, "The Ocean", "Living Loving Maid", "Heartbreaker", "Black Dog", etc., etc.??? Insane riff out-put.

I always felt John was the "Riff Man" in The Beatles. But Paul had some great ones, too. Not sure which gets that title.

I always viewed John as the riff man, as well. Regardless of where I Feel Fine came from, it's brilliant. He had a rich and broad range of influence. I believe he started on a banjo. It didn't matter what you put in his hands. He was going to get something musical out of it.

62hofner Nov 10, 2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1113747)
I always viewed John as the riff man, as well. Regardless of where I Feel Fine came from, it's brilliant. He had a rich and broad range of influence. I believe he started on a banjo. It didn't matter what you put in his hands. He was going to get something musical out of it.

Yeah, I give John "Riff Master General" status with The Beatles for the following reasons:

I Feel Fine
Day Tripper
Norwegian Wood (it's a melody line, but could be considered a riff)
Hey Bulldog
Don't Let Me Down
Revolution I (the riff between verses)
Doctor Robert

Paul had some good ones, too. I am pretty sure he came up with the (12-string) riff for "Ticket To Ride", and of course his brilliant riff for "Paperback Writer".

Fleurette1967 Dec 20, 2012 10:28 AM

I Feel Fine, but now I have Watch Your Step all in my head, LOL. Hey Bulldog features another great riff.

Colonel Angus Jan 29, 2013 08:43 AM

I think Helter Skelter is my favorite riff. Sure, it's simple. But it's just got that something.

yol Feb 17, 2013 02:42 AM

The poll was closed.
"Here Comes the Sun".

(I feel that I was the cause of the "distraction" in the other thread. It wasn't exactly "unwarranted" though, as the term "solo" is hopelessly vague. I'm glad you put up a clarifying thread.)

BDC Jan 03, 2015 11:13 AM

"Fixing a hole" has that amazing lead riff behind the vocal,,,,,,,"see the people standing there"

I'm not one to pick an all time best, but enjoy the conversation, and this should be in it...........

SilverBeatle Jan 08, 2015 08:28 AM

"I've Got a Feeling" is a nice one too. It's very simple, but when Paul belts out the first line it gives me chills.

Colonel Angus Jun 08, 2015 09:16 AM

Nobody has the cache of great riffs the Beatles do. In fact, the guitar riff is almost obsolete in today's music. The middle guitar break in Got To Get You Into My Life" is fantastic.

Bongo Jun 08, 2015 01:25 PM

That guitar/keyboard intro to "I Mean Mine" is just fantastic! :music2:

beatlebangs1964 Jun 22, 2015 02:56 PM

In 1974-75 there was a group that did a song entitled "Don't Call Us" by Sugarloaf where the guitar intro from "I Feel Fine" is plainly heard. Copyright, anyone?

That 1961 song does indeed sound a lot like "I Feel Fine" and I would not be surprised if it influenced the Beatles' late 1964 classic.