BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   Monthly Contest (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Stardust (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49424)

zipp Aug 26, 2014 12:38 PM

Stardust

How many Beatles songs were wholly or partly sung at Woodstock in 1969 and by whom?

johncharles Aug 26, 2014 05:36 PM

Joe Cocker did a pretty sweet rendition of 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. I prefer it over the original version. Don't know about the other acts and songs performed. Maybe, Jimi Hendrix covered something.

johncharles Aug 26, 2014 06:27 PM

Oh, and tack on Ritchie Havens also singing 'With A Little Help From My Friends', 'Hey, Jude', and 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.

Also, Crosby Stiles and Nash, right? Covering 'Blackbird'

zipp Aug 27, 2014 01:28 AM

Sorry johncharles but you double posted before I answered so I have to disqualify you from this question.

I suggest you take a look at the sticky contest rules at the top of the threads.

Colonel Angus Aug 27, 2014 08:39 AM

Richie Havens did Here Comes the Sun, Strawberry Fields, and Hey Jude. Joe Cocker did With a Little Help From My Friends. CS&N did Blackbird.

zipp Aug 27, 2014 02:53 PM

Not completely correct.

Colonel Angus Aug 27, 2014 05:19 PM

Richie Havens did Here Comes the Sun, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Hey Jude. Joe Cocker did With a Little Help From My Friends. CS&N did Blackbird.

zipp Aug 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Same answer, same problem !

Colonel Angus Aug 28, 2014 02:16 AM

Richie Havens did With a Little Help From My Friends, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Hey Jude. Joe Cocker did With a Little Help From My Friends. CS&N did Blackbird. I know RH did a pretty famous cover of Here Comes the Sun, evidently not at Woodstock.

hibgal Aug 28, 2014 02:46 AM

And Jimi Hendrix' song was Hey Joe not Hey Jude - a totally different composition. Jimi did cover Beatles but not at Woodstock. Can't add anything to Col A's answer since I wasn't there personally and it's what the official setlist says too. :nono3:

(Don't you dare answer this Col. and get yourself disqualified! :rolleyes: )

zipp Aug 28, 2014 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Angus (Post 1126609)
Richie Havens did With a Little Help From My Friends, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Hey Jude. Joe Cocker did With a Little Help From My Friends. CS&N did Blackbird. I know RH did a pretty famous cover of Here Comes the Sun, evidently not at Woodstock.

You got it.

Richie Havens didn't do Here Comes The Sun, but he did do the other three songs you mention.
And he didn't know all the words because he was improvising a lot (though his Strawberry Fields is exceptional).
Even his famous song Freedom in the film was an improvisation.

Score :

Colonel Angus 9

johncharles 2

Mergan 1

Uncle Albert 1