BeatleLinks Fab Forum

BeatleLinks Fab Forum (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/index.php)
-   And Your Bird Can Sing (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Best Beatles Guitar Riff (http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38113)

Majintaix Jun 14, 2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J van E (Post 958842)
None of which have anything to do with the riff... :teeth1:

Doesn't melody have something to do with a riff...:confused:

J van E Jun 14, 2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majintaix (Post 958846)
Doesn't melody have something to do with a riff...:confused:

Ooooo, you meant the melody of the riff...? I thought you were talking about the melody of the song... ;)

Majintaix Jun 14, 2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J van E (Post 958912)
Ooooo, you meant the melody of the riff...? I thought you were talking about the melody of the song... ;)

Nah, the melody of the riff. Hence the 'bouncy and energetic'. I literally bounce every time I hear it.

J van E Jun 15, 2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majintaix (Post 958965)
Nah, the melody of the riff. Hence the 'bouncy and energetic'. I literally bounce every time I hear it.

It sure is bouncy and all. But it's also harder to sing along. The Day tripper riff is easier to sing or hum or shout and that makes it stronger imho.

Majintaix Jun 16, 2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J van E (Post 959049)
It sure is bouncy and all. But it's also harder to sing along. The Day tripper riff is easier to sing or hum or shout and that makes it stronger imho.

Okay, you're right on that count. But strongness does not a riff make.

Zimmerman The Gnome Jun 17, 2009 03:39 PM

I voted for Day Tripper

And I too Love Last Train To Clarksville!!

62hofner Jun 17, 2009 04:31 PM

Zimmerman gets his vote in under the wire! :wink2:

PepperlandFrog Jun 26, 2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majintaix (Post 959166)
Okay, you're right on that count. But strongness does not a riff make.

So the Day Tripper riff makes two melodies in addition to what the singers sing into the song, so how does that affect the middle 8 in the song.

BlueJayGuy Aug 03, 2009 05:36 AM

Where's Hey Bulldog? :o

TNK Aug 12, 2009 10:02 AM

Surely "Lady Madonna" is a piano not a guitar riff?

I'm voting for the bass lines on "Taxman" and "Come Together".

FPSHOT Aug 12, 2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNK (Post 969633)
Surely "Lady Madonna" is a piano not a guitar riff?

Yeah it starts as a piano 'riff' if you can call it one, but then the guitar steps in after the first round at approx 45 seconds and sort of takes over during the song?.

62hofner Aug 12, 2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJayGuy (Post 968431)
Where's Hey Bulldog? :o

It's on side 1, track 4, of the "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack. :eyebrows:

There are 10 choices for a poll. I couldn't possibly include all of them.

The piano riff from "Lady Madonna" is not the same as the guitar riff in the song. The piano bounces around on a variation of the melody line. The song has a unique guitar riff making it a qualified entry on the above list. The bass actually plays the riff first, if you want to be technical about it.

FPSHOT Aug 12, 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 969696)
The piano riff from "Lady Madonna" is not the same as the guitar riff in the song. The piano bounces around on a variation of the melody line.

It is not the same, the piano is a variation bouncing both upwards and downwards on the key ladder where the guitar has a strong one way riff?

Quote:

The song has a unique guitar riff making it a qualified entry on the above list. The bass actually plays the riff first, if you want to be technical about it.
I'd say the piano comes first :laugh5:

62hofner Aug 12, 2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPSHOT (Post 969697)

I'd say the piano comes first :laugh5:

Yeah, the piano does come first... but it's not the first instrument to introduce the riff that got the song onto the list of choices. :wink2:

TNK Aug 13, 2009 03:54 AM

It's a great bass line, I know that... especially in the middle 8s.

PepperlandFrog Apr 12, 2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 957771)
"Old Brown Shoe" has got TWO riffs, actually! The main riff that accompanies the verses, and then that cool riff that goes along with, "When I grow up I'll be a singer wearing rings on every finger..".

Another great George riff song is "I Want To Tell You"... but there are just so many choices you can list on a poll!
:wave1:

alright i'm learning. thank you mr. hofner. i just so love that song old brown shoe, it really floors me.

mariposa Nov 08, 2012 03:42 PM

My favorite guitar bit is the twangy guitar in "Words of Love".

So put me down for "other", I guess.

62hofner Nov 08, 2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariposa (Post 1113685)
My favorite guitar bit is the twangy guitar in "Words of Love".

So put me down for "other", I guess.

Figures you'd choose a riff written by Buddy Holly—and not one of the Beatles!

:tongue4:

Of course, now... I can't get that riff outta my head!

Colonel Angus Nov 09, 2012 07:16 AM

Day Tripper was the first "sophisticated" guitar riff I ever learned so I'm very partial to that riff. But I'm also of the opinion that it's derivative of Pretty Woman. I Feel Fine is also a great riff, but comes from someone else's work. Ticket To Ride and Paperback may be their most influential riffs, meaning I have heard them re-purposed most often over the years. Some of their greatest riffs are their most subtle. Devil in Her Heart, Dear Prudence, Lucy in The Sky, Mother Nature's Son, In My Life, Here Comes the Son. All absolutely signature. Frankly, I could go on all day. But I'm gonna cast my vote for "other" based on seeing McCartney's recent tributes to George. After opening Something w his ukulele and little vaudevillian style rendition, the lights come up and the band joins him w that monster riff and it's absolutely chill bumps inducing. Talk about beauty in simplicity.

mariposa Nov 09, 2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62hofner (Post 1113705)
Figures you'd choose a riff written by Buddy Holly—and not one of the Beatles!

omg ... I'm such a dork. I knew "Words of Love" was a Buddy Holly song, of course, but I'd never actually heard him do it and so I didn't realize the Beatles lifted the guitar part straight from his version. I just now listened to Buddy on YouTube ... what the Beatles play is almost exactly the same, note-for-note.