PDA

View Full Version : George's Birthday ~ 24th or 25th?

Hari's Chick
Feb 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
So, which date do you prefer celebrating and why??

George's Mom used to call him each year at 11 mins after midnight on the 25th to wish him happy birthday. George's sister Lou said at 'Fest years ago that there were only three people present when George was born- his Mom and Dad... and a midwife/nurse. Lou laughed when asked about how George had said he was born on the 24th after all. She sort of felt he was being Pythonesque with that rumor. She said if anyone would know when George was born, it would be their Mom!

But the reason George changed his birthday was because of 'wartime' time. Like today's daylight savings time changes- but instead because of World War II- England's clocks were advanced by an hour from winter of 1940 through summer of 1945. George, upon hearing of this :laugh5:... declared he was actually born on February 24th. Olivia said if you wished George a happy birthday on the 24th, George would say, "it's not my birthday" and if you wished him a happy birthday on the 25th, he'd say, "you missed it." :laugh5::laugh5:

So which day do you prefer? :smile1:

kayinthelife
Feb 24, 2011, 03:46 PM
I celebrate both days.

misfittoy
Feb 24, 2011, 05:29 PM
So that's what the argument over George's birthday is about. I learned about wartime because my ex-husband was an astrologer and it apparantly made a difference for such a thing

Badgirl66
Feb 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
Time is guilty

george_on_cloud9
Feb 25, 2011, 03:34 AM
I chose both...

You know, mates? When I was dating in Portugal with my now EX, our celebration was on the 25th February.

But now I only think of my beloved Beatle, not the "bittersweet" 4 1/2 years of dating with him... (some beatlinkers knows who I am talking about)

George, miss you!

Hari's Chick
Feb 25, 2011, 09:36 AM
So that's what the argument over George's birthday is about. I learned about wartime because my ex-husband was an astrologer and it apparantly made a difference for such a thing

Yeah, Olivia also mentioned that. She said it was important to them because she and George believe in astrology, and it was significant to George for that reason. :)

FPSHOT
Feb 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Olivia also mentioned that. She said it was important to them because she and George believe in astrology, and it was significant to George for that reason. :)

ok fair enough

Then when this is so important to George and Olivia and where at the official George website the 25th is the one and even here HC you also did not start anything on the 24th since 2001, then why are we suddenly having this discussion after 10 years where people are asked which day of birth of George they prefer whilst George is not even here anymore to say anything about it and the Harrisons so often made clear that the 25th is the memorial day. How can someone "prefer" a day of birth and set up some "Show" like..."ok what kind of Bday would you like George to have or maybe choose two Bdays in which case he may be the first to have that for some weird reason" whilst not even be here anymore in the material word.

Hari's Chick
Feb 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
ok fair enough

Then when this is so important to George and Olivia and where at the official George website the 25th is the one and even here HC you also did not start anything on the 24th since 2001, then why are we suddenly having this discussion after 10 years where people are asked which day of birth of George they prefer whilst George is not even here anymore to say anything about it and the Harrisons so often made clear that the 25th is the memorial day. How can someone "prefer" a day of birth and set up some "Show" like..."ok what kind of Bday would you like George to have or maybe choose two Bdays in which case he may be the first to have that for some weird reason" whilst not even be here anymore in the material word.

Bully much, FP?

FPSHOT
Feb 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
Bully much, FP?

Is that English? Maybe try again,.

kmac
Feb 25, 2011, 01:24 PM
Here we go again, FP. I am not sure what it is that irks you so terribly that you are possessed and obsessed to argue about any and everything that does not conform to your views on George. Why is it that you consistently take discussions into the personal realm by pointing out what you perceive tp be flaws in a certain memebers on this forum?

What difference does it make that HC wishes to bring up this topic now? What bearing does it have on anything in regards to this poll? If you do not like what you read, move on. Otherwise vote, say your piece by sticking to the topic and leave personal vendettas aside. Either way, how about showing some sommon decency in this forum, eh?

kmac
Feb 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
But the reason George changed his birthday was because of 'wartime' time. Like today's daylight savings time changes- but instead because of World War II- England's clocks were advanced by an hour from winter of 1940 through summer of 1945. George, upon hearing of this :laugh5:... declared he was actually born on February 24th. Olivia said if you wished George a happy birthday on the 24th, George would say, "it's not my birthday" and if you wished him a happy birthday on the 25th, he'd say, "you missed it." :laugh5::laugh5:

So which day do you prefer? :smile1:

I love this! Such a tongue-in-cheek moment, but also another way for George to not draw undo attention onto himself.

Now how do I choose? How could I go against Lou since a Mother knows best? :teeth1:

Peregrine9
Feb 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
Happy birthday to George Harrison.We love and miss you George.
There is a 24 hour streaming video concert being shown on his official web site in honor of his birthday.

http://www.concertforgeorge.com/

George Harrison February 25, 1943 - November 29, 2001

Hari's Chick
Feb 25, 2011, 01:40 PM
I love this! Such a tongue-in-cheek moment, but also another way for George to not draw undo attention onto himself.

Aww, you're right, that's true. :smile1:

Now how do I choose? How could I go against Lou since a Mother knows best? :teeth1:

I know, right? :laugh5: I celebrate both days.... but mostly the 25th. Since I was ten years old, my Mom would let me stay up until exactly 11 mins after midnight to say my happy birthdays (though long distance and unknown to George!). :laugh5: It's habit now! :D

Hari's Chick
Feb 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
Happy birthday to George Harrison.We love and miss you George.
There is a 24 hour streaming video concert being shown on his official web site in honor of his birthday.

http://www.concertforgeorge.com/

George Harrison February 25, 1943 - November 29, 2001

I'm gonna check that out! Thanks! :)

hibgal
Feb 25, 2011, 03:03 PM
Olivia said if you wished George a happy birthday on the 24th, George would say, "it's not my birthday" and if you wished him a happy birthday on the 25th, he'd say, "you missed it." :laugh5::laugh5:That makes perfect sense to me. Who wants to become a year older anyway? So - no cake! :devious:

CWW
Feb 25, 2011, 04:40 PM
ok fair enough

Fp you have now made it clear here you know little about the 'real' George Harrison, and you display it to everyone..

You hijack and use threads and ideas which are perfectly valid, and MUCH NEEDED on a George Harrison forum as personal vendetta's..Please leave your personal politics out of important discussions on George Harrison, especially on days like today. It is "not nice" at all.

One doesnt need to know much to know about Feb 24/25 and the debate about it..

George's official birthday was "February 25" - it is on his birth certificate and is in all Beatle biographies and is generally the accepted date. And maybe that is what is on the website but George only revealed in the 90's in a (serious) interview in Billboard with close freind Timothy White that he belives he was ACTUALLY born on Febuary 24. He may have jokes about the date later on, yet i believe he was being fully serious at the time..

I celeberate both days, but believe the "real day" to be February 24, as George did..

Olivia knows the truth too, though i suspect "Feb 24" is a personal and still largely private thing - she is hardly going to make a change to the official website and change everything..it would not be keeping with George's low key and private personality.

The exact birth was close to midnight on the 24th, so why not celebrate both days anyway?

Just because someone is no longer 'in the material world' does not mean we should not celeberate their birthday..i mean why would you think that? Look at how the Krishna's Celebrate A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's Birthday every year? in some ways after the person has left their body, their birthday or APPEARANCE DAY where they graced our and shared their light and prescence with those of us left behind is EVEN more important and celebatory than when they WERE here! So you think its funny for people to celebrate George's actual Birthday or to question when it actually was?!!!

This thread is exactly what we need today/yesterday! :laugh5:

Though please keep personal and petty politics out..some respect please

Unknown Delight
Feb 25, 2011, 05:46 PM
I also honour both days, the 24th and 25th. The 24th moreso for the personal reasons i associate with it ( and apparently, Mr. Harrison did too!).

I will always recall one 24th being the day i recieved a gift of my first Japa Beads with purple bag, embroidered with a colourful 'OM' symbol. It was very touching to be given this on THIS particular day, of all days....and is another reason i choose to celebrate on the 24th as well.

George's presence is a daily experience for me, wether listening to his music and reading articles i come across, to learning more about topics i was introduced to by him. Every day is a celebration of sorts, when one keeps his inspiring aura about them in both thought and action.

Jai Sri Hari!

CWW
Feb 25, 2011, 06:14 PM
I also remember Seeing Bob Dylan at an airport on Feb 24 a couple of years after George passed and thought immediatly of him..

beatlelover45223
Feb 25, 2011, 07:58 PM
ok fair enough

Wow, that really put a damper on a celebration of someone's life!