PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Beatles Guitar Solos

Ryharrison
Aug 06, 2000, 08:57 AM
My two favorite guitar solos are the solo on "Hey Bulldog". I believe it is Paul playing, but if some one has more information, tell me. The other one is "Babies in Black." Nice solo by Georgie boy. What are your favorite solos and why?

-Thank You-
Richard

Harb83
Aug 06, 2000, 09:12 AM
Hello Richard and welcome to the forum. Everyone here is nice and friendly. If they wern't, then they'd get a severe dressing down. I feel that it is my duty however to warn of you a species that hangs about here, emerging occasionally to leave comments. He is known as Lennon-McCartney, or LenMc as he is better known, or Colin as he isn't better known as. He has that kind of humour that you wished you had in a way, and you're thankful of not having in another way.

I am Harbidge. My first name is Mike. I am a moderator for the main page. It's a good job but it doesn't pay well (well not at all really). I'm the expert around here for the PiD rumours and clues, and I'm also a bit of an expert on British Beatles record releases.

Now that the greeting is over, I'll answer your question...

I like solos to be fast, and complicated, but it must fit in with the music. Solos like Hey Bulldog, Lovely Rita and Good Day Sunshine. Let it Be has a good solo as well. The solo for I'll Follow The Sun is a bit too badic for my liking, but I can play on guitar the solos for I Should Have Known Better and Day Tripper. I can play the harmonica for Love Me Do, Please Please Me and From Me To You.

If I had to name one however, I'd go for One After 909.

The best guitar solo ever though I reckon is the one Eddie Van Halen played in the Michael Jackson song, Beat It.

You aren't related to George in any way at all are you?
------------------
Did Paul McCartney die in a car crash on November 2nd, 1966? Visit Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence (http://www.paulisdead.web.com), read the clues and decide for yourself.

[This message has been edited by Harbidge (edited August 06, 2000 at 10:14 AM).]

bearkat77
Aug 06, 2000, 01:25 PM
Welcome to Beatlelinks. This is the site to be at if you care about the Beatles. Our numbers are still small, but we see an enormous future ahead. http://www.beatlelinks.net/ubb/smilies/images/icons/smile.gif
As far as guitar solos go, I would go with George's on "Let It Be". Some other good ones are in "Day Tripper", "Something" and "Nowhere Man".

------------------
Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page (http://www9.50megs.com/bearkat77)

beatlemethisbeatlemethat
Aug 06, 2000, 07:12 PM
HI! welcome to the Forum! My fav guitar solo is While My Guitar Weeps. And i love Hey Bulldogs solo as well.

------------------
Peace, Love, and Beatles,
Stefanie

Beatle Me This, Beatle Me That (http://beatlemethisbeatlemethat.virtualave.net/)

//0-0\\//0-0\\//0-0\\
"After all is said and done, you can't go pleasing everyone, so screw it"
--John Lennon

jtal909
Aug 10, 2000, 02:49 PM
Nowhere Man has a beautiful solo with 12 string guitar. Melodic enough and inventive enough.And the last phrase before the high E is awesome.
Also in Fixing a Hole: sort of mysterious like the song.
Good Morning: explosive solo. Was that George or Paul?

lennon-mccartney
Aug 10, 2000, 03:11 PM
It's just a chord picking solo though, really - E, B, A, E etc.
I like it.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/stars/LennonMcCartney/lennonmccartneylink.gif (http://www.angelfire.com/stars/LennonMcCartney)

lennon-mccartney
Aug 10, 2000, 03:12 PM
........Nowhere Man.

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/stars/LennonMcCartney/lennonmccartneylink.gif (http://www.angelfire.com/stars/LennonMcCartney)

jtal909
Aug 10, 2000, 05:11 PM
Yes. the cool part is the last Am in the solo. It is so simple, yet seems like something not done before in rock, like much of their music.

bearkat77
Aug 10, 2000, 05:32 PM
jtal909, Paul did the lead guitar solo for "Good Morning, Good Morning". It was recorded on Mar. 28, 1967. On this same day, Paul also laid down the guitar solo for "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite".

------------------
Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page (http://www9.50megs.com/bearkat77)

jtal909
Aug 11, 2000, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Bearkat. I thought that might be him. He can play some serious lead. He's the first in the trade-off leads in "The End".

FPSHOT
Aug 13, 2000, 12:31 AM
Well mr. Harrison, welcome, I recently joined here and did not get the same intro about certain writers (no problem btw Harbidge), but that may be because you are a harrison and I am only the Studio.

Some solo's I like are in

And Your Bird Can Sing
And I love her
I've just seen a face
Back in the USSR

But my top favorite is the guitar battle on Abbey Road.

DIGIT
Aug 13, 2000, 04:04 AM
HI all,and welcome to you new comers.I've got to go with Hey Bulldog,which most of yous' know is my 2nd fave(after Dig It).
Next I'd go with I'll Follow The Sun,And Your Bird Can Dance,and Revolution(from the David Frost Vidio).

------------------

Eppy
Aug 15, 2000, 07:10 AM
Hi RyHarrison. I love all the afore-mentioned solos, but would like to add "Taxman." That song would put up a good argument to be my favorite, if not for "Imagine."

Paul_McCartney2002
Aug 18, 2000, 12:24 PM
Paul's best is yesterday or blackbird if you ask me

PennyLane
Aug 20, 2000, 09:24 AM
Though it is simple, I have to go with Day Tripper. I can't really describe what I feel like when I hear that solo.

Lovely Rita
Aug 20, 2000, 02:40 PM
I think I'll have to go with Eppy on this one..the solo in Taxman is great. I also love the trade off solos on The End as wel.
-Lovely Rital

jtal909
Aug 20, 2000, 07:40 PM
Some early great solos are:
And I Love Her
Till There Was You

Do you think George wrote these or might he have had some help by George Martin?

jtal909
Aug 20, 2000, 11:22 PM
George plays a soulful solo in I Dig A Pony.

FPSHOT
Aug 20, 2000, 11:52 PM
How about George's solo in Real Love ??

lennon-mccartney
Aug 21, 2000, 03:20 AM
Or possibly Paul.

------------------

FPSHOT
Aug 21, 2000, 12:12 PM
OhNoNotHimAgain

Clark Kent
Jun 27, 2002, 08:08 AM
The guitar solo in the middle and the end of "And Your Bird Can Sing" is magic. The one on "Taxman" rocks as well, it was played by Paul(not George).

------------------
"Will she still believe it when he's dead?"

I don't know. Will she?

[This Message Has Been Edited By Clark Kent On July 03, 2002 09:08 AM]

rolypoly
Jul 01, 2002, 01:03 PM
I feel a list coming on...:

Let It Be
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Octopus's Garden
Nowhere Man
Michelle
Girl
Drive My Car
And I Love Her
Get Back
the intro of In My Life
I Feel Fine

------------------
Is there anybody going to listen to my story, all about the girl who came to stay?

lilsamharrison
Jul 18, 2002, 06:43 PM
While My Guitar Weeps for sure!

------------------
Do you wear wigs?

John: If we do they must be the only ones with real dandruff.

Louie D
Jul 19, 2002, 04:15 PM
There is a few that i like
Run for your life, I'm Down
You can't do that, The night before
another girl the next one i don't think
that it has a solo ( DR Robert )but i like
the song. How about Honey Don't and
Everybody's trying to be my baby.

------------------

billyshears
Jul 25, 2002, 12:02 PM
sgt peppers albumīs guitar solos are the greatest beatles guitar solos
http://www.beatlelinks.net/ubb/smilies/beer.gif

------------------

iFrog
Jul 29, 2002, 08:04 PM
i like the solo guitar part in Let It Be. Real crunchy and to the point. And it sticks to your ribs. To be honest it would be hard for me to find a Beatles lick (that's what us guitarists call them) that i didn't really like or enjoy a whole lot.

------------------
http://www.beatlelinks.net/ubb/smilies/frog.gif
...who shall remain norman...'Stob shouting those animoles.'
-John Lennon

streetcred
Oct 04, 2006, 11:49 PM
I'm new to the post but just wanted to let people who didn't already know, because it didn't look like it was mentioned that the solo on while my guitar gently weeps is eric clapton playing. I also heard in passing that there was a song that was done before 1970, i think in 68, or 69 where there was a trade off of solos between george harrison, eric clapton, and jimi hendrix. i don't remember the name of song and my fried played it for me and you can tell the distinct guitar styles. apparently is was one of the last things hendrix recorded. i am trying to figure out the song. anyone have any clues?

streetcred

gberman
Oct 05, 2006, 04:48 AM
We should make special mention of George's exquisite solo on "Something". It's been discussed on other threads, and mentioned in passing here, but it deserves more recognition. It's probably the most "perfect" solo ever in a song--keeping in mind the musical context, of course (and not to be compared with hard rock or metal guitar solos). It fits the mood of the song perfectly, and is just wonderful to listen to.

And let's not forget George's solo bridging "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window". That particular section really shows all 4 Beatles giving it everything they've got, (listen to each one individually the next time you have it on), and the solo itself is just so COOL!

digdad
Oct 05, 2006, 05:02 AM
We should make special mention of George's exquisite solo on "Something". It's been discussed on other threads, and mentioned in passing here, but it deserves more recognition. It's probably the most "perfect" solo ever in a song--keeping in mind the musical context, of course (and not to be compared with hard rock or metal guitar solos). It fits the mood of the song perfectly, and is just wonderful to listen to.

And let's not forget George's solo bridging "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window". That particular section really shows all 4 Beatles giving it everything they've got, (listen to each one individually the next time you have it on), and the solo itself is just so COOL!
I was just listening to some of Abbey Road this morning and really took note of the excellent guitar solo and riffs at the end of "You Never Give Me Your Money". Great stuff.

digdad
Oct 05, 2006, 05:04 AM
I'm new to the post but just wanted to let people who didn't already know, because it didn't look like it was mentioned that the solo on while my guitar gently weeps is eric clapton playing. I also heard in passing that there was a song that was done before 1970, i think in 68, or 69 where there was a trade off of solos between george harrison, eric clapton, and jimi hendrix. i don't remember the name of song and my fried played it for me and you can tell the distinct guitar styles. apparently is was one of the last things hendrix recorded. i am trying to figure out the song. anyone have any clues?

streetcred
Your not thinking of the guitars trading off in "The End" are you, which was actually Paul, George, and John trading off.

AMBOISVERT
Oct 05, 2006, 05:30 AM
Yeah. Hendrix hung out with the Beatles a little, and covered a couple of Beatles songs, but they never recorded together. It would have been cool if they had. Even Clapton was intimidated by Hendrix; I can't imagine how George might have felt.

Tony

Anthony
Oct 05, 2006, 07:02 AM
I like the solos in Honey Dont', All My Loving, For You Blue and I'm sure a bunch others that I can't think of right now.

gberman
Oct 05, 2006, 09:54 AM
I was just listening to some of Abbey Road this morning and really took note of the excellent guitar solo and riffs at the end of "You Never Give Me Your Money". Great stuff.

I have an Abbey Road bootleg that includes an extended version of that fadeout--they continued playing for considerably longer than what we hear on the album, and they turn that riff into a sort of free-form jam for a few minutes (I haven't listened to it in ages though, so I could be remembering it a little differently).

Edmund Earl of Gloster
Oct 05, 2006, 06:18 PM
Great subject that brings up many memorable and challenging (and not so challenging) solos.

My personal favourites are:

Something: One of the first Beatles solos I learnt
I Should Have Known Better: Simplicity
I'm Down: High energy Rock 'n' Roll
I Feel Fine: Very challenging, but well worth it once achieved
Across the Universe: Intro.
Michelle: Intro.
I Call Your Name: Fun to play
Dear Prudence: Hypnotic
While My Guitar..: Need I say more
Julia: Finger picking delight!
http://bestsmileys.com/music2/16.gif

stern
Oct 09, 2006, 05:43 AM
Hello;

My favorite guitar solo by far is the solo guitar break in the middle of Words Of Love on Beatles vi.

Carl Balzamo cbalzamo@yahoo.com

Edmund Earl of Gloster
Oct 11, 2006, 04:44 AM

Thank goodness someone finally mentioned the solo from 'Something'. Without doubt George's greatest moment behind the six-string.

getback
Oct 11, 2006, 05:55 AM
Thank goodness someone finally mentioned the solo from 'Something'. Without doubt George's greatest moment behind the six-string.

finally? this i one of the most written-about themes on the fab forum!

Edmund Earl of Gloster
Oct 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
finally? this i one of the most written-about themes on the fab forum!
...and that is a good thing getback. Can never have enough discussion about this classic.

Let the people be heard....http://bestsmileys.com/happy/2.gif

MikeyB
Oct 11, 2006, 05:15 PM
Let It Be - from the LIB album
Something
You Can't Do That
Nowhere Man
Carry That Weight (right before, "I never give you my pillow..")
Brings a tear to my eye every time.

RevolutionBulldog
Aug 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
NOWHERE MAN
LET IT BE
TAXMAN
BACK IN THE USSR
HEY BULLDOG
THE END
HELTER SKELTER
I WANT YOU
OCTOPUS'S GARDEN
OLD BROWN SHOE
REVOLUTION
SOMETHING
WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
YOU'RE GONNA LOSE THAT GIRL
BABY'S IN BLACK

The Duke
Aug 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
Hello, RevolutionBulldog. :wave1:
Nice list, but what do you like in particular about each one? And Let it Be? Album, single, Anthology or '...naked' version? Oh, there's so much we'd like to know!

getback
Aug 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
i'll second george on "something". john's work is oft-overlooked, and on the top of that list would be his sublime work on "i want you (she's so heavy)".

The Quarryman
Jun 15, 2009, 01:42 AM
I feel that you can't really call the solo from While My Guitar Gently Weeps a real Beatles solo as George, John or Paul did not write or play it. Though if it had been written by one of the Beatles it would be at the top of my list.

1. I Want You (She's So Heavy) - This song, as well as the guitar through out the song is very ahead of its time, yet it still keeps it 'Beatley' feeling.

2. Free As A Bird - Though not really a Beatles song the solo is perfect for the song, a great tribute to John from the other members.

3. The End - I love the way that George, John and Paul are able to make a song flow with three different styles of lead guitar.

4. Taxman - Awesome tempo and style, one of Paul's best with the Fab Four.

5. Something - Beautiful slide riff through out the song. This song shows George's versatility.

6. Happiness Is A Warm Gun - Every time I hear this I think of David Gilmore and Pink Floyd.

7. Let It Be - Another solo that goes great with the lyrics.

8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - I feel that George really makes the guitar squeal nicely.

9. Back In The USSR - Another great, fast tempo solo by Paul.

10. Can't Buy Me Love - It's so simply, yet it sounds great and always brings a smile to my face.

----------
The most over rated Beatles solo in my opinion is Nowhere Man.